Free mouthpiece on instructables.com

I designed this mouthpiece last year when I had access to an industrial 3D printer in hopes of winning  an instructables contest with the grand prize being a 3D printer.  I didn't win.  I learned a ton about mouthpiece design in the process.  


I printed three prototypes one with a huge throat and chamber and the other with just a large chamber.  I extrapolated the measurements from my Yanagisawa 7 metal mouthpiece and scaled a reference image from which to begin the design work.  I think that the design needs to be altered to reduce the chamber volume.  I found the piece to play flat and I was forced to lip it up considerably (either that or jam the mouthpiece way too far onto my neck and risk ruining the cork).  I compared this to my 'new' and recently acquired Otto Link Super Tone Master tenor piece.  It is about one centimetre longer than it needs to be. The Yanagisawa has a VERY long shank like a Berg Larsen or a Miami Dukoff.  I'll alter the files and perhaps upload them to instructables.com or just create another instructables post.

I wonder if the current size of the prototype with the larger throat would work on a baritone sax?  If I can get my hands on a bari in the next little while I'll give it a try.  If anyone out there that has printed either of these designs has a baritone sax, let me know if it works.

https://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Printed-Tenor-Saxophone-Mouthpiece/

Free Mouthpiece on instructables.com

No comments:

Post a Comment